Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Trip Overview


Where do I even begin? There is so much that I could share! I’m just going to start with logistics since that’s pretty easy.
The trip itself went well – no difficulties with travels, aside from having to sit still for such long periods of time, and no major health problems. God was so faithful to keep me from getting any type of motion sickness, which is pretty amazing considering the condition of the roads over there. One of the American missionaries living there says the answer to the question of what side of the road you drive on is “whatever side you can.” You haven’t seen pot holes until you’ve been to Liberia.
The people are a bit reserved but very polite and welcoming once you talk to them. Most have a high regard for Americans, and tend to consider any white person they see a missionary. I guess they realize their country is not exactly a tourist spot, so they are pretty much correct that a white person in Liberia is there to help. The kids get very excited about seeing us. We drove the same route 6 times a day for 2 weeks and they never ceased to come running, waving, and yelling “white man, white man, white man!” I couldn’t help but smile every time I saw their smiles:) I will post a video of that but beware it might make you sick (remember the condition of the roads?)
We ended up seeing over a twelve hundred patients during the course of the 2 weeks. Every day (M-Sa) we were working at the AFBM clinic in Gbarnga (pronounced Bonga), but 4 of the days we also sent a few team members out to a village to do mobile clinic. Two of the villages could only be reached by helicopter, but the one I went to was accessible by Land Rover.  Both in Gbarnga and in the village patients would walk for hours to come and be seen by a doctor. When you asked them how long they had been experiencing a certain pain or ailment, they would often say years. The healthcare system in America may not be perfect but we don’t stop to consider what we have.
I worked with the physical therapist Larry most days but also did history taking a few days. The PT was of course nothing like what I see at the hospital. The majority of what we saw was back and neck pain, which resulted from Sacroiliac dysfunction, Iliosacral dysfunction, or rotated vertebrae. It took me a few days to grasp all the dysfunctions and assessments (palpation of bones), and even by the end there were some things that I just couldn’t feel. Larry was very encouraging and had a lot of faith in me so I was grateful for him, but I think he is a little too confident! He desperately wants someone to fill his shoes since he is retiring, but he has been doing PT work on the mission field for 47 years so he has some big shoes to fill! I am definitely praying about it and am willing to do whatever God asks of me but right now I do not believe I am the one, for a few different reasons that I don’t have room to write about:)
The days that I did history taking are the days I felt like I came alive, even though it was challenging, and at times even discouraging. As a history taker you are the one who asks them questions and sits and listens to all of their complaints. (By the way every team member has a translator with them) Then you share about why you are there, talk with them about their beliefs, and share that God loves them so much He sent Jesus to die on the cross and offer them the salvation of eternity in Heaven. It was also important to me that I help them understand that it’s not only about Heaven but about a personal relationship. In John 10:10 Jesus says that he has come that we might have life and have it to the full. He offers us hope and joy and peace and the ability to live an abundant life while we are here on earth! I desperately wanted these war-torn people to understand and experience that.
Being over there definitely makes you realize just how privileged we are as Americans and how much we take for granted. Little things like running water, electricity, comfortable mattresses and food choices. Not to mention the opportunity. There is so much need and so much I wish I could do. I really enjoyed the country and the people and would love the opportunity to go back. Yet I would also like to see other places in Africa. So we will see. I will be posting another entry soon and that one will include more about what I learned, the ways I grew and more about my heart for the people. 


Pause the music on the side bar so you can hear their cute little voices:)

This is one of the better videos because an American was driving so he slowed down:) Still didn't get a  good shot of my favorite little boy though! (one in red underwear at the very end)

1 comment:

David said...

Very cool, Deedee, can't wait to hear more.